Zinc is involved in over 300 enzyme pathways in the body—it's a pretty important member of the nutrient team responsible for our body running happily and healthily.
Zinc deficiency can affect all sorts of functions in our body from mental health, immunity, mood, hormone and gut health.
Our diet should be our primary source of zinc, and high quality supplementation is a good option for people who struggle to maintain optimal levels from food alone.
We have pulled together a warming winter recipe rich in zinc to support all those pathways that depend on it!
BePure Chili Con Carne Recipe
Serves 4 | GF, DF
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 C beef stock
- 500g beef mince
- 400g can of beans
(chickpeas, lentils or red kidney beans are all great)
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 C brown rice and/or quinoa
- Sautéd kale
- In a large pot, sauté the onion in coconut oil until translucent.
- On a medium heat, add tomatoes, stock, beef mince, beans and carrot to the pot with the onions.
- Add chili powder, cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper, and garlic pepper, and mix well.
- Leave to simmer for 40 minutes, stirring every so often.
- Serve with brown rice and/or quinoa, and sautéd kale.