This week on the blog we've been looking at the connection between PMS, hormonal imbalance and cravings.
This cake recipe is a delicious combination of all three!
Rosemary is great for supporting the liver and helping it to detoxify.
Dark chocolate contains sugar which stimulates the release of serotonin and magnesium is a very important micronutrient for many of our body's functions. PMS sufferers are more likely to have low magnesium levels.
Fats are essential to our health and they are the building blocks of our hormones. It's important to note that when it comes to fats, most fats degrade and get damaged when cooked at high temperatures. Olive oil is a lovely, healthy fat but it will become damaged at 160 Celsius, which is why this cake has a lower cooking temperature.
Grace is part of the incredible BePure team based at the BePure Havelock North Clinic. This is her delicious, nourishing cake recipe. We really enjoyed this lovely, soft cake with a big dollop of coconut yogurt.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar-free.
BePure Nourishing Rosemary, Olive Oil and Chocolate Cake
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 cup of coconut cream
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 cup of buckwheat or brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 150g of 75% (or darker) dark chocolate
- 3 tablespoons of fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
- Mix the lemon zest, lemon juice, coconut cream, olive oil and maple syrup together in a bowl.
- Beat the eggs in separate bowl and then add them to the mixture. Stir well.
- Sift the flours, desiccated coconut, baking soda and rosemary into the mixture and combine.
- Roughly chop the chocolate and fold into the cake batter.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
If you have a go we'd love to see! Share it with us on Instagram with #BePureBenWarren or tag us in your picture @BePureBenWarren. We'll be looking, commenting and reposting some of your creations.