There are two forms of iron, Heme iron which is derived from animal sources (our red meat) and nonheme iron which is our plant sources (legumes, vegetables and fruit).
It's best to eat a variety of these types of iron regularly. Cashews are actually a pretty good source of iron, with 18 nuts containing 2mg of nonheme iron. If you wanted to get your entire recommended daily allowance (RDA) from cashews alone that would be 162 cashews, but as a snack to boost your overall daily tally, they're not bad.
They're also high in magnesium and antioxidants which helps the body to utilise iron, eliminate free radicals, develop bone and connective tissue and production of melanin for skin and hair pigment. #Winning
Summer is a fantastic time for hanging out and spending time with those we love and care about. Food is often a big part of that, and our go-to fan favourite treat is this Cashew and Cacao-Nut Slice. Enjoy mindfully!
- 1 cup cashew nuts (contains approx. 5mg of iron)
- 1 Tbsp cashew butter
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 3 - 4 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
Cashew Butter Filling
- 1/2 cup cashew butter
- 1 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- Dash of vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 200g 70% – or higher – dark chocolate (melted)
- Blitz the nuts, cashew butter and desiccated coconut.
- Combine with coconut oil, cashew butter and salt.
- Press the crust base down into a dish and pop in the fridge to set for 20 minutes while you make the filling.
- Place all the filling ingredients into a saucepan on a low heat and stir until creamy.
- Pour evenly over the nut base and pop back in the fridge until it has set – around 30 minutes.
- For the chocolate top layer, put all ingredients in a saucepan and stir until combined.
- If you are using dark chocolate, stir in a saucepan on low heat until melted
- When the cashew butter layer has set, pour the melted chocolate evenly and put back in the fridge. Wait about 30 minutes before eating, or until set.
- Best enjoyed with loved ones and a cup of tea!
You can download a PDF version of this recipe here.