This week we are looking at natural ways to achieve optimal skin health. Our exposure to chemicals, toxins and excess hormones is loading our liver and lymphatic system which leads to skin concerns and conditions like acne, eczema and psoriasis. It also affects our ability to absorb, store and use nutrients from our food that can help support healthy skin.
"Dry brushing and gentle exfoliation is a great way to improve circulation and help drain your lymphatic system."
It’s impossible to avoid every environmental toxin in our modern world and there are many ways to help support your liver and lymphatic systems. Throughout history many traditional cultures have used specific therapies to assist with the detoxification of environmental toxins and chemicals. There are also many natural steps to care for your skin. One of these steps is body brushing or gentle exfoliation using a dry brush or scrub made from natural ingredients.
Dry brushing and gentle exfoliation is a great way to improve circulation and help drain your lymphatic system. It helps to unclog pores and expel toxins trapped in your skin and brings the blood to the surface of your skin, transporting essential nutrients with it.
This is our recipe for an indulgent, luxurious body scrub that will help your body clear toxins, help you relax and it will leave your skin amazingly smooth.
This sugar scrub combines some of our favourite natural beauty ingredients:
- Extra Virgin Olive oil – For naturally nourishing skin. You can also use oils such as almond oil, coconut oil or macadamia nut oil. All these oils are also great used as a facial cleanser.
- Coffee – While not the best inside our already stimulated body, the caffeine has a tightening and stimulating effect on our skin and the roughness of the coffee grinds help to increase circulation.
- Cacao – High in antioxidants. Many skincare products boast added antioxidants but why not get it straight from the source!
- Sugar – We know it’s not great inside the body but on the outside as it naturally exfoliates your skin.
- Salt – the granules help with circulation and helps to stimulate lymphatic drainage.
This simple scrub smells like a rich mocha, but is incredibly simple and inexpensive to make.
- 1/4 cup finely ground dry coffee
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 6-8 Tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons cacao powder
- 4 Tablespoons Himalayan Rock Salt.
- Place the coffee, cacao, salt and sugar in a medium size bowl.
- Mix well.
- Add the oil and stir with a fork or the back of a spoon until well mixed and moistened. Start with 6 Tablespoons. The mixture should still be slightly dry but clumped together when pressed. If it is still too dry, add more oil.
- Store in an airtight container and use as desired for soft skin and increased lymph flow.
Take note: This scrub is delicious for your skin, but can be a little messy in your shower or bath. Simply apply some baking soda and vinegar to wash off any residue.