When it comes to this incredible second spring transition there is no real definite age when perimenopause begins. At the BePure Clinic, we generally see this happening between forty-five and fifty with menopause marking twelve months with no period at all.
Whether you’re approaching perimenopause, experiencing menopause or you’ve come out the other side of menopause, there are plenty of ways to support your body for longevity abundant in health and vitality.
We believe this starts with the food we eat and the nutrients we nourish our body with. In losing oestrogen, we also lose the insulin and anabolic benefits that come with it. This makes eating adequate levels of protein so important for perimenopausal and menopausal women.
With the changes in hormone levels, many women find changes in their weight management. While frustrating, this is normal and your body will adjust. Focusing on building your plate around high-quality protein—aim for 20 grams in each meal—will help support muscle tone, stabilise blood sugar levels and provide satiation.
This recipe for crusted salmon with steamed veggies is a delicious longevity meal, perfect for perimenopausal and menopausal women. We love salmon for its healthy fats, but you can also switch this for a leaner white fish - such as snapper, tilapia and tuna.
Longevity Herb Crusted Salmon Recipe
Serves 2 | GF, DF
- 1/4 cup almonds
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 10g fresh parsley
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 free range egg white
- 2 x 150 grams salmon fillets - deboned
- Juice of half an orange
- Steamed vegetables or leafy greens to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place the almonds, lemon zest, parsley and salt in a food processor or blender and blitz until the texture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Brush each piece of salmon with egg white. Spoon almond crumb over each piece and lightly press with your hand. Drizzle orange juice over for extra flavour.
- Roast for 12 minutes. The salmon should be only just done, as it will continue to cook with the residual heat and flake easily.
- Serve with steamed vegetables. Enjoy!