At BePure we focus on eating nutrient dense whole foods that support your health while reducing inflammation and illness.
Through this, we look to improve overall bodily health, function and energy so that you can enjoy your life with optimal health.
While 'eating a clean diet' can sound intimidating it's important to remember you don't have to 'give up' or restrict your food intake. It simply means being mindful about the food you choose to put in your body and finding ways to enjoy the meals you know and love in new, nutrient rich ways.
We developed this recipe for our BePure 10 Day Clean Eating Programme as a delicious and nutritious take on the classic burger and chips.
BePure Lettuce Cup Burgers with Veggie Chips Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 2)
Beef or lamb patties
- 500g beef or lamb mince (with a good fat content – not lean or premium mince)
- 1 onion finely sliced
- 1 egg
- 1-2 Tbsp. brown rice flour
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, rosemary or mint or 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp. tamari
- 1 Tbsp. whole-grain mustard
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds lightly dry roasted (optional)
- 1 tsp. chilli flakes (optional)
- Unrefined sea salt and pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp. coconut oil or lard for frying
- 4 large lettuce leaves to be used as the ‘buns’
- 1 grated carrot
- 1/4 red onion finely sliced
- 1/2 grated beetroot
- 1 cup finely chopped leafy greens, chopped red cabbage
- 1 heirloom tomato slices
- Sugar-free pickle or relish
- (Optional) Finely sliced mint and parsley or micro greens
- 3 large parsnips or 2 kumara peeled and cut into chips
- 1-2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- Unrefined kelp salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 180 degrees. Prepare the kumara or parsnip chips, par-boil in a pot for 5 minutes, strain and coat with oil in an oven-proof dish, season well with salt and pepper and bake/fan-bake for 10-20 mins. If you don’t par-boil then just bake parsnip/kumara for 45mins.
- Put all the burger ingredients (mince, egg, rice flour, mustard, tamari, spices, salt, pepper and herbs) in a bowl and mix with your hands. Gently form mince into patties (the size you like) – don’t press the mixture together too much. Gently flatten the patties.
- Heat the barbecue or a heavy pan with oil and then add the patties and cook for about 5 minutes each side (avoid pressing the patties down as this squeezes out the juices). As you are cooking the burgers, prepare all the vegetable fillings.
- Assemble the burgers and serve with cooked vegetable chips and relish.
If you give this a go, we'd love to see the result! Tag us in your pictures with @bepurebenwarren for your chance to be featured on our Instagram account.
Disclaimer: This blog post is for educational purposes only. It is not designed to diagnose, treat or cure. We are all unique, for your individual health concerns it is important to discuss these with a BePure Clinical Consultant or relevant health professional.