This is a quick and easy summer meal, that is bursting with colour and flavour. Fresh summer fruits and vegetables are in abundance and packed with antioxidants and nutrients that nourish our bodies. Think yellow and red capsicum, courgettes, juicy peaches, strawberries and cherries.
This warmer weather also makes us crave raw salads, fruit and slightly steamed, sauteed or grilled veggies. This is because we require less energy to break down these foods than in winter, with the warmer weather helping our digestive system work more effectively.
This is a delicious protein type recipe, but one that the whole family can enjoy. Simply serve with a side of leafy greens and fill your plate with portions that fit your macronutrient profile type. Find out your macronutrient profile on the BePure website.
Lemon & Thyme Chicken Drumsticks with Veggie Skewers
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 45 minutes | Serves 3-4
- 6-8 free-range drumsticks
- 1 lemon, cut into thin slices
- Handful of thyme
- 1 Tbsp paprika, to season
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 x capsicum
- 2 x red onion
- 3 x courgettes
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 ml) coconut oil
- Place drumsticks and coconut oil in an oven dish.
- Sprinkle evenly with paprika, salt and pepper to coat well.
- Place slices of lemon and thyme on the seasoned drumsticks.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until juices run clear when pricking the drumsticks.
- Chop all vegetables into chunks.
- Assemble vegetables in layers on skewers.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place on baking paper in an oven dish, or put on the BBQ.
- Grill for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are crisp and tender on the inside.
Note: You could use any other summer vegetables on the skewers, including eggplant or tomatoes.