We like to think of meals that have a high-quality protein, lots of colourful vegetables and leafy greens to be ‘longevity meals’.
The protein helps to stabilise blood sugar levels for improved hormone balance, energy, insulin sensitivity, mood, and weight management, as well as providing satiation.
And the colourful vegetables and leafy greens provide essential nutrients that our body needs to function day-to-day with energy and vitality.
This is a meal the whole family will love - and it is really supportive for our postmenopausal women who thrive on longevity meals like this one - simply add a side of leafy greens for a quick and easy dinner.
Lemon & Thyme Chicken Drumsticks with Veggie Skewers
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 45 minutes | Serves 3-4
- 6-8 free-range drumsticks
- 1 lemon, cut into thin slices
- Handful of thyme
- 1 Tbsp paprika, to season
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 x capsicum
- 2 x red onion
- 3 x courgettes
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 ml) coconut oil
- Place drumsticks and coconut oil in an oven dish.
- Sprinkle evenly with paprika, salt and pepper to coat well.
- Place slices of lemon and thyme on the seasoned drumsticks.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until juices run clear when pricking the drumsticks.
- Chop all vegetables into chunks.
- Assemble vegetables in layers on skewers.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place on baking paper in an oven dish, or put on the BBQ.
- Grill for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are crisp and tender on the inside.
Note: You could use any other summer vegetables on the skewers, including eggplant or tomatoes.