Enhancing ‘happy hormones’ through diet and lifestyle changes can help to balance our mood. Our ‘happy hormones’ are serotonin, GABA and dopamine, which are not technically hormones, they are neurotransmitters.
Vitamin D containing foods such as salmon, are found to enhance serotonin levels, while foods that support GABA are gentle carbohydrates like kumaras.
This recipe is a quick and delicious way to load up on whole foods that nourish your body and your mind. Perfect for a light lunch or dinner!
Kumara and Smoked Salmon Fish CakesServes 2 | GF RSF DFO
3 kumara, peeled and diced
1 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp coconut cream
200g smoked salmon
2 spring onions, finely chopped
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper
Brown rice flour for dusting
Coconut oil for frying
Lemon wedges to serve
Crème fraîche (optional)
- Boil kumara pieces until very soft and drain out all water.
- Add coconut oil, coconut cream, salt and pepper to the saucepan and gently heat as you mash (add more liquid if you need to).
- Combine smoked salmon with kumara, spring onion and parsley. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Form mixture into eight patties. Dust patties lightly with brown rice flour.
- Heat a medium frying pan with coconut oil and gently fry hash cakes over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Serve with lemon wedges, crème Fraîche and BePure red slaw.