Magnesium is the third most abundant mineral in the body and is used in over 300 enzymatic reactions. This means it plays a role in nurturing your nervous system all the way to your bones, as well as having the ability to stabalise our mood and contributes to our sense of happiness and well-being. Whip up this magnesium rich, mood boosting recipe to nurture the body and mind.
To ensure you're getting enough magnesium, it's important to include magnesium-rich wholefoods in your diet, such as dark green veggies, pumpkin seeds, dark chocolate/cacao, nuts, bananas, almonds, legumes, whole grains, avocados, beef, and lamb. Although it can be a tough one, we also try to avoid coffee as much as possible as this can reduce magnesium absorption.
In this recipe, we've used pumpkin seeds and cacao to create a mood-boosting chocolate seed spread that is rich in this incredible mineral.
Makes 1 Jar | DF, GF, RSF
- 1 C sunflower seeds
- 1 C pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch Himalayan salt
- 1-2 tablespoons sweetener of your choice such as honey or coconut sugar
- Blend all the seeds in a blender, until they gradually reach the consistency of flour and then a gooey ball
- Add coconut oil and continue to blend until the seeds liquify. It should be quite runny.
- Add the cacao powder, vanilla, salt and sweetener and blend to combine. You might need to stop frequently to scrape down the sides of the blender.
- Keep processing until smooth and spreadable. Taste and add more cacao if you'd like it stronger.
If you have a go at making this recipe, let us know! We love seeing your BePure recipes. Tag us in your Instagram pictures @bepurebenwellness.