Throughout Gluten Free Feb we had comments that finding quick and easy snack ideas was an ongoing challenge, so we’ve put together a list of our favourite delicious and healthy snack options for you to try.
Please note: If you’re eating correctly for your macronutrient profile you should notice that you feel full and satisfied with steady energy levels for 4 - 5 hours after eating, and you may not feel the need to snack between meals too often.
As always, try to include a mix of protein, carbs, and fat (every time you eat) to help stabilise your blood sugar levels.
Hummus and veggie sticks - You can make your own hummus (recipe at the bottom of this page) and dip veggie sticks into it. Carrot, celery and cucumber sticks work well.
Pate - A delicious way to get nutrient dense liver into your diet (recipe at the bottom of this page). Spread your pate on good quality gluten free crackers, or use veggie sticks as above.
Mango and avocado salad - Healthy, fresh and filling. Toss mango, avo, finely diced red onion, basil, seasoning and lemon juice together in a bowl.
Roasted chickpeas - Drain a can of organic chickpeas, dry them well, then lightly cover in olive oil and bake for 30-40 minutes on 230C. Shake them every 10 minutes. To finish, toss chickpeas in a herb mix.
Hard Boiled Eggs - Seasoned with salt and pepper.
Bacon and Egg Muffins - Put bacon strips in a muffin tin, crack an egg in it and bake it for 30 minutes on 180C or until cooked through.
Frittata - Great if you have leftover meat or veggies at the end of the week.
Bliss Balls - The BePure recipe can be found here.
Smoothies - There are so many delicious and nourishing smoothie recipes. Here’s a link to one of our favourite combos.
Kale Chips - Here’s a recipe for you to try.
Organic Chicken Drumsticks or Freedom Farm Ham - Great as the base of a snack for protein types, with fruit and nuts.
Cheese, nuts and fruit - A quick and easy snack, great if you tolerate dairy well an are in a rush.
Haloumi with Apple - Bite sized baked haloumi with pieces of apple on top, and finished with a light sprinkle of cinnamon. Grilled haloumi with honey drizzled over it is also delicious!
Apple with nut butter spread - Slice your apple how you like it, then spread a good quality nut butter on each slice. Trust me it’s better than it sounds.
Make your own Hummus recipe from the BePure 10 Day Clean Eating Programe.
1 can organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed (Chantal’s)
4 cloves of roasted garlic (roast a whole bulb of garlic)
2 Tbsp. tahini
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp. water (use more if needed to thin it out)
1 tsp. ground roasted cumin
½ tsp. ground roasted coriander
¼ tsp. smoked paprika
¼ tsp. sumac (optional)
½ tsp. salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Rub extra papery skin off whole heads of garlic. Cut tips off each clove of garlic with serrated knife to expose a bit of garlic. Lay root side down on a sheet of tin foil or in a small baking dish. Drizzle with oil over the cut end of the garlic. Crimp foil closed or cover the baking dish with foil. Roast until the garlic cloves are soft and fragrant, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Open foil and let sit until cool enough to handle.
2. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their papery skin. Discard skin and transfer the cloves to a food processor.
3. Add to the food processor the chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, water, roasted cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, optional sumac, salt and pepper.
Chicken Liver Pate
500 gram organic chicken livers
1 large onion, diced
6 medium mushrooms, sliced
400gm organic butter
2 Tbsp port or red wine
Zest of 1 orange
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
Salt and pepper
2 Tbsp cream
2 Tbsp fresh herbs e.g. thyme, oregano, parsley
1. Add half the butter to a medium sized frying pan. Gently sauté onion and mushrooms on low heat for 15- 20mins until lovely and soft.
2. Add chicken livers and port to the pan and gently cook until livers are just still slightly pink.
3. Add remaining butter, orange zest and juice and any herbs, salt and pepper and cook for further 5 minutes.
4. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then blend all together with cream. Taste and add seasoning if needed, pour into dishes and chill.
BACK TO TOP