Prostate cancer is the one disease that men are at most risk of. So much so, that in Australia, prostate cancer will soon overtake heart disease as the largest killer of men.
When it boils down to it, cancer is cell disfunction which is usually caused by one or more of these three things; infection, inflammation, and hypertrophy (an increase in volume of tissue or organ due to cell enlargement).
The prostate gland is far more than a storage depot for sperm, it also acts to protect the sperm from bacteria and viruses - sort of like a filter.
Benign Prostate Enlargement (BPE) is so common after the age of 50, it's now considered 'normal'. That's when the prostate gland swells, and these days over 10 million American men currently experience any or all of the following symptoms:
- frequent urination (usually at night), called nocturne
- reduced amount and force of urination
- the feeling of urinary urgency
- leaking or dribbling
- the inability to pass urine (urinary retention).
These symptoms shouldn't be seen as 'normal' - if you or a loved one are having any of them, it's a definite sign to head to your doctor and get checked.
Avoiding these symptoms, or helping to alleviate them (once getting thoroughly checked out at your GP, of course!) means doing some or all of these seven things:
– improving your hormone balance
– neutralising microbial infections
– addressing toxicity (like minimising estrogenic herbicides and pesticides)
– correcting mineral imbalances (eg ensuring adequate zinc.)
– amending diet
– reducing stress
– recognising the sexual link (an active sex life with a singular partner, or no partner at all is associated with prostate health).
There's a lot of information in the BePure programme that's designed to address these issues. It's about making sure you're consuming the right foods for you and reducing the toxins you're ingesting and using in products. That's why I'm such an advocate of using glass water bottles instead of plastic and buying organic when possible.
If you or a loved one are already dealing with cancer, it’s important to get as many medical opinions as possible and then choose a treatment protocol that resonates with you. This blog is not intended to diagnose, treat or cure.
I personally believe the main reason why we are seeing such a huge increase in prostate cancer is because of the increase of environmental estrogens. The PCB’s (polychlorinated byphenols) and dioxins from plastics, herbicides and pesticides are all estrogenic and our environments are literally engulfed with them. Progesterone balances out many of the negative effects of these excess estrogens.
Here's some nutritional recommendations for optimal prostate health:
– Vitamin D – look to maximise blood levels of Vitamin D between 120nmol and 150 nmol.
– Vitamin E, mixed tocopherols of natural source – 400IU daily
– Selenium - 200mcg a day for selenomprotein manufacture. I would recommend taking the maximum dose of BePure ONE to achieve this
– Lycopene - 15mg a day
– Taking a high EPA/DHA fish oil like BePure THREE to reduce inflammation
– Turmeric - one teaspoon a day or a supplement of turmeric extract curcumin. It inhibits proliferation of cells, induces apoptosis of cancer cells and has anti-inflammatory mechanisms.
– Saw Palmetto extract has been shown to be beneficial with anti-prostate cancer properties demonstrated in a number of pathways.
– 3 day old broccoli sprouts or DIM as a supplement to up regulate the second phase of the liver to help detoxify environmental estrogens
– Beneficial bacteria - our immune systems are fully integrated with our beneficial bacteria. We should be getting 10-15 servings of probiotics a day to maintain optimal levels of beneficial bacteria. These can come from raw dairy products, fermented vegetables and probiotics (Biokult, available in the BePure online store, is one of the best).
– Pomegranate Juice has been shown to have a dose dependent inhibition of cancer cell growth along with induction of apoptosis.
– Green tea, - studies have shown subjects who drank 3 cups of green tea a day had a statistically significant reduction in prostate cancer.
– Fermented wheat germ flat bread - Ferment wheat germ and then bake at a very low temperature and eat. Fermented wheat germ extract has been shown to decrease glucose uptake by cancer cells and induce apoptosis.
– Raised body temperature therapy. Your immune system works much more effectively at higher temperatures due to an increase in enzyme speed. So, either sauna daily or have hot baths and then wrap yourself in towels for 40 minutes.
– Coffee enemas - Daily coffee enemas are not only a good way to stimulate bowel movements for detoxification but they have also been shown to increase glutathione production by 400%. Glutathione is one of the body’s most important antioxidants used throughout the body to maintain health.
I would also recommend some initial investigations for heavy metal toxicity through a hair mineral analysis, and progress to chelation if heavy metals are present. Heavy metals block the receptor site of beneficial metals like zinc and stop them doing their job.
Phew! There's a lot to know about prostate health, and this only scratches the surface. For more information, if you have any questions on the above or about any other health concerns, give the BePure nutritionists a call at 0800 873 787.
In health and happiness,
BACK TO TOP