There are so many amazing health benefits to eating gelatin and just one of those is improved sleep.
Glycine is an amino acid found in gelatin. It is an inhibitory neurotransmitter which can decrease general anxiety and promote sense of calm. In this study, 3g of glycine before bed also lessened daytime sleepiness, improved performance of memory recognition tasks, and supported an improvement in sleep quality.
The optimal time to stop eating is 2-3 hours before going to sleep. This allows your body to have fully digested your meal, letting it focus on the restorative processes that only occur during sleep.
However, if you are someone that gets hungry before bed, these BePure Chamomile Sleep Gummies are a nourishing (and delicious!) pre-sleep snack.
BePure Chamomile Sleep Gummies
Makes ~12 gummies | GF, DF, RSF
- 1 C water
- 2-4 bags chamomile tea
- 1.5 Tablespoons of gelatin
- 2 tsp of honey
- Put 1 cup of water on the stove and brew it with 2-4 bags of chamomile tea.
- Reduce to a low heat. Add honey and gelatin in a saucepan, whisking until fully combined. Cook for another 5 minutes until simmering at the edges. Do not boil!
- You can pour into glass or ceramic container—or any baking tin—and pop in the fridge. If you have kids, these are great in cute little moulds.
- Leave in the fridge until set before cutting into 12 pieces. Gummies can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.