Every so often, we have the pleasure of Ben himself whipping up a beautiful meal for the team.
This BePure spin on the classic avo and salmon on toast was a winner not just with out tastebuds, but also the little mitochondria in every single one of our cells who love being nourished with healthy fats and micronutrients from fresh, whole foods.
BEN'S AVOCADO SMASH ON KUMARA STACK
Serves 4 | Gluten Free
2 medium to large red kumara, cut into 2cm slices
1 Tbsp butter
1⁄2 cup frozen peas
2 medium hass avocados, peeled
2 Tbsp olive oil
8 organic eggs
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 fillet smoked salmon, cut into portions
2 cups rocket, to serve
Freshly chopped basil, to serve
1 Tbsp dukkah, to serve
- For the kumara stack, preheat the oven to 200C on fan bake.
- Arrange kumara on a lined baking tray, and spoon a dollop of butter on each slice. You’ll need about 12 slices altogether, allowing for 3 slices per person.
- Pop the kumara in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- For the avocado smash, place peas into a small bowl, cover with hot water and leave to sit for 5 minutes.
Place the avocados, drained peas, 1 Tbsp olive oil, a squeeze of half a lemon, a pinch of salt and pepper, and mash together with a fork until it forms a chunky consistency. Set aside.
6. For the eggs, fill a medium-sized pot with at least 5cm of water and bring to a simmer.
- Crack each egg open, and slowly tip into the simmering water, allowing them to cook for 3-4 minutes. Adding a splash of vinegar may help keep the eggs together.
- To serve, place three slices of kumara on each plate. Layer with avocado smash, followed by two eggs and salmon. Place rocket on the side with a slice of lemon, and sprinkle over dukkah, salt and pepper, basil and a drizzle of olive oil to finish. Et Voila!
Source: Viva | Photos: Babiche Martens